Monday, March 7, 2011

Makeup Monday: Maybelline Super-Stay 24 Hour Color

Here and there I'll do a makeup Monday post, seeing as makeup can be an essential part of your look. I'll tell you what I love, don't love, and what I think is worth buying. In keeping with my cut-rate fashion theme, I'm not going to be reviewing expensive, hard to find products - only normal products you could find at your local drug-store.

Maybelline Super Stay 24 Hour Color
Endless Ruby, #30



Pros: Long lasting color, very pigmented.
To begin, since I know "long lasting color" lipsticks are pretty drying to your lip, I put on some lip conditioner (my personal preference is Blistex Lip Conditioner, but you can use whatever you have on hand). After that soaked in a bit, I lined and filled in my lips with Rimmel's Exaggerate in Red Diva, #24. Using the liquid color end of the Super Stay lipstick, I filled in the lips with the lovely deep red color. Now comes the tough part: waiting. You have to wait till the lip color has completely dried on your lips before you can use the included color-renewing balm.

Cons: Dry lips, slow drying.
I mentioned in the last section that long lasting color is very drying to your lips - because it truly is. Luckily for us, Maybelline thought this out and included a color-renewing balm with the product. That being said, you HAVE to keep applying the balm if you want to keep your lips from drying out. The other downside is how long the lip color takes to dry. It took around 2 minutes to dry before I could put on the balm, which to someone trying to quick apply some makeup before running out the door, does not work at all. But, if you give yourself some time, its well worth the effort.



Why this is in the blog:
Simple. Its a pretty inexpensive product to begin with, but I managed to snag one of these for free. I always keep my eyes peeled for deals, coupons, and contests - and it just so happened Maybelline wanted to give away about 1,000 of these bad boys for free. So, I signed up , and lucky as I am, managed to win one. Even if you have to go and buy some though, its less than $10 in Canada, and even cheaper in the US. They give you a fair amount of product for the price, and even though I wouldnt say the lipstick lasts a full 24 hours (its still there, but its not something you want to wear in public), it still lasts throughout a work day or an evening out.

The Verdict:
Buy it. I am going to get another color soon. The color they sent is lovely, but slightly brighter than I could pull off normally.

2 comments:

  1. Pictures already, geeze. I best step up my game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you cook something, I am expecting pics. Till then I'll give you lee-way. Besides, I like pics, and when it comes to fashion, you can describe something, but pictures are kind of essential.

    ReplyDelete