Friday, March 25, 2011

Fa(t)shion Friday: Ricki's Asymmetrical Dress



The Clothes: Ricki's Asymmetrical Azure Dress, XL
The Store: Ricki's (Canada)
The Price: $15 CAD (Originally $90)


Pros: 80's throwback style, Cute included belt, Sturdy construction.
This dress immediately caught my attention because it was so different from everything else I have seen recently - although there is an 80's style revival going on, its mainly been things such as leggings, flats, and certain colors - so seeing a retro styled dress was a pretty big treat for me. The fabric is a middle-weight knit, and is also lined, which is a nice touch as I dont think many women own nice slips anymore. The dress also comes with a nice stretch belt to accent the waist (I used this belt for many, many different outfits).


Cons: Not a "fat-friendly" line, Cut feels lopsided.

I love Ricki's, it is by far my favorite clothing store, but they aren't really all that fat friendly. They carry sizes 0-18 (plus size being an XL/Size 16), so plus sizes are very underrepresented here. If they were to expand their line, I am sure they'd have plus sized ladies lining up around the block, because they have good looking, well made clothes. More often than not, they have very well cut clothing, that they subtly tailor for each size up - however, this is not the case with this dress. It has no darts, or tucks around the bust, and the only stitching was at the shoulder, which made for some...strange pleating that makes the dress feel lopsided.

The Verdict:
The more I've worn this dress, the less I like it, but inversely, I love the belt that came with it, which I would have paid $15 for on its own. I switch it up with most of my outfits - so it was a good buy for me. I guess I just consider the dress a bonus, and I may keep it around for a retro night.

1 comment: